Ithaca Free School

Friday, March 04, 2005

Straight Outta Tompkins

I'm going to start getting organized with my local history researches. There is so much great information available just in the public library that the time for notetaking, microfiching, photocopies and bibliographies is upon me.

Once upon a time I thought about arranging a local history group. Of course in a way this ties in with American history, because central New York history, even just Tompkins history, is a microcosm which reflects the events and trends of history.

I still can't track down coverage of the ex-slave parade in 1827, because the library's run of the Journal doesn't go back that far. But I did find some great ads and articles from 1821 in the American Journal.

Also no trace yet of the Monitor and the Wheat Street Review, both 20th century African-American periodicals. More research, more research!

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know about this, and see if anyone cares to join me for a weekly, biweekly, or monthly meeting. One concept I really like is a collaborative research group assembling information for a primary source history of Tompkins county, which could then be used as a text or teaching tool for any number of groups.

--David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home